The centre is charged with the responsibility of organizing and conducting research and development in energy efficiency and conservation. In this regard, the centre carries out the following functions:
- Develop guidelines for efficient end-user products and advise on their implementation
- Develop energy efficiency codes, standards and specifications for domestic, commercial and industrial facilities and set up laboratories for the testing and calibration of equipment and appliances to ensure compliance.
- Gather, analyse and manage energy supply and consumption data and information.
- Serve as a centre for training high level manpower in energy efficiency and conservation.
- Develop and execute pilot demonstration projects highlighting energy efficiency concepts
- Disseminate information on energy efficiency and conservation concepts through public awareness programmes such as seminars, workshops and publications.