The centre is mandated to:
- Develop guidelines for efficient end-user products and advise on their implementation
- Develop energy efficiency code, standards and specification for domestic, commercial and industrial facilities and set up laboratories for the testing and calibration of equipment and appliances to ensure compliance.
- Gather, analyse and manage energy supply and consumption data and information.
- Serve as a centre for training high level manpower in energy efficiency and conservation
- Develop and execute pilot demonstration project highlighting energy efficiency concepts.
- Disseminate information on energy efficiency and conservation concepts through public awareness programme such as seminars, workshops and publications.