AboutMinimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS)
Minimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS) is a specification, containing a number of performance requirements for an energy using device that effectively limits the maximum amount of energy that may be consumed by a product in performing a specified task. MEPS generally require use of a particular test procedure that specifies how performance is measured.
Objectives of MEPS
- Provides detailed information on the performance and energy labelling which an appliance has to meet in order to carry a valid energy efficiency label; and
- Provide detailed information on the performance requirements which an appliance has to meet in order to meet minimum energy performance requirements.
Benefits of MEPS
- MEPS is one of the most cost effective ways to encourage energy efficiency improvements in products
- Setting energy performance levels creates a more efficient range of products for consumers to choose from by:
- Encouraging manufacturers to continually improve the efficiency of their products
- Preventing poorly performing products from being sold
- Improving the average efficiency of products available in the market
- Reduces emission of greenhouse gases as electricity generation is heavily reliant on fossil fuels for new supplies.